Nakd bars are always my go-to snack – they come in so many different flavours, are raw and free of any nasty ingredients, and count as one of your 5 a day! I would choose the Cocoa Mint flavour over actual chocolate any day of the week. Nom. Because of my slight love affair/addiction to these treats, I tend to spend about £5 a week on them. It doesn’t break the bank, but it does add up! And who doesn’t love a bargain 🙂
When I look for sweet/dessert recipes, I normally hit the paleo blogs hard. I usually find these gluten-and-sugar-free treats can be tastier than the processed alternatives! So when I stumbled across a recipe for grain-free brownie bites on Paleo Grubs and decided to give them a go (who doesn’t like bake-free!), I had no idea that they were going to be my Nakd replacements!
Here is the recipe I use to make my own Nakd bars (adapted from Paleo Grubs)
- 150 grams of walnut halves
- 150 grams of pitted dates
- 40 grams of unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- Food flavourings of your choice (Peppermint, Orange, Lemon, Vanilla etc)
- Add the walnuts and salt to a food processor. Simply mix until the walnuts are ground You don’t want them to be a powder, a bit of texture is always good).
- Throw in the pitted dates, cocoa powder and your choice of flavour. I love anything containing mint, so that’s usually my go-to.
- Mix until well combined, and, with the blender still running, add a splash of water to help it all stick together. (Don’t add too much water, or it’ll basically turn to mousse – I have learned this the hard way. It’s still tasty, but not as easy to eat!)
- Using a spatula, transfer them to a bowl. Using your hands you can roll them into balls or make them into bars. Your choice completely! I find these quantities can make about 10 balls.
That’s it! So simple, and you can store them in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to a week.
I find them so much cheaper than Nakd bars – 30 homemade “Nakd balls” (as I like to so eloquently call them) should cost you about £8. Bargain.
Let me know in the comments below if you try to make them!